The more I read, the more I realised that a good prologue is so much more.
Having just written beyond the FPP in the novel I’m writing, I realised that it was exactly what I needed for it. So I researched it some more and considered the criteria. As I understand it then a Prologue should:
• Start with a compelling first line, from an unnamed character's viewpoint
• hook the reader in, cutting to the chase and introducing a vital story question
• sketch in some backstory quickly and economically
• convince the reader to keep turning the pages to find out the answer, without giving too much away
• never be an excerpt that is repeated later in the story
I am so excited, I'm beside myself...