About Me

My Photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Monday, 24 March 2014

Mindfulness

There's a  great post on ALPHA & BETA READERs 
at Writes of Passage
Check out Margo Kelly's latest post 
for some great writing process tips

As many of you will know, my life is currently very stressful and emotional, with migraines in the mix. So, in place of traditional Happy-Pill therapy, my GP prescribed

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world (by Williams and Penman) 
The book comes with an audio CD and the voice that guides you through the exercises isn't annoying or intrusive. He (Prof Williams, I believe) sounds a little like Oliver Postgate who narrated, wrote and produced Smallfilms productions with Peter Firmin.

AND apart from the health benefits, it made me think how the activities could be 
applied to us as writers, because they encourage us to 

really take notice 
of
sounds, smells, feelings, tastes, sights 
of a single object or event 
the very things that feed
 descriptive showing  
styles of writing.

Have you tried Mindfulness?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Madeleine .. good point - I've toyed with it .. but I really need to settle and give the thoughts some time to gel in - I'm not good when I'm busy and in a muddle, but now - I'm freeing up some time by being organised and so really should apply this into my life ...

    I do find blogging has made me more aware of things ... and I use what I've learnt in the last few years, putting I hope some of it into effect and improve others lives because I'm improving mine and taking life more gently, being more aware, listening more, and thus not rushing by ...

    Good points - and I hope things will ease - enjoy the Spring weather and longer days .. that will make life easier .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're doing an important De-cluttering job that will bring its own rewards. Thanks for your lovely comments as always. Hugs xox

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to read you are going through such stresses and strains! :( I do hope this book is helping and looks like it's doing more for your writerly self too!

    Sending you all the positive vibes in the universe! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Old Kitty. Yes this week and the book are folding clouds of much needed tranquility around me.

      Delete
  3. One of my fave things to do right now is stare up at the night sky out in my little courtyard at home. But I am missing one important tool - a telescope. I intend to get one sometime soonish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful. We have a Velux window in our roof and it is lovely to look up at the sky and the stars.

      Delete
  4. Not heard of the book, but those are things we need to be aware of when writing. I tend to forget smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, smells are so evocative aren't they?

      Delete
  5. Hi Maddy. I think we all need to be still and let the peace wash over and through us. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, the peace of this time-off week I gave myself is definitely welcome.

      Delete
  6. I'd like to become more aware of things instead of being in a rush all the time. This sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound lovely and I hope it brings you lots of relief, Madeleine. Enjoy some peace as often as you can. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna, for your lovely thoughts and comments. x

      Delete
  8. Dear Madeleine,

    I'm saddened to know that you are still encountering such stress. Yet, that book sounds like a most positive tonic.

    Please just rest and write whenever you feel the need to verbalise.

    In kindness,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, I'm doing just that :O)x

      Delete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.