About Me

My photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Thursday, 28 March 2013

Stimulating the Readers of Tomorrow ~ Storybags #1

When National Literacy Project statistics showed that only 15 % of parents were reading to / sharing books with their children, it was felt something had to be done.
Story Bags were the answer and have become a worldwide phenomenon.
So what books are best for the story bag?


These story bags also help imaginative play, sequencing, speech and language skills.

Would a storysack appeal to you?

Happy Easter
 

6 comments:

  1. What a very cool idea! Never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing it. And Happy Easter! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a frightening statistic that parents reading or sharing books with their children is falling. Reading with your child is not only a wonderful bonding experience but it stimulates imagination and helps with reading and spelling. I have used story sacks when I used to work with younger children and they were always popular. Being able to bring a story to life with props is a fantastic idea and reinforces the learning.

    Thanks for highlighting on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I wish we did something similar here. It's hard to believe parents aren't reading to their kids. It's so fun to read to kids - they're eager and ready to listen and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madeleine - exactly what a clever idea .. especially if you're creative and crafty - I imagine you could add a few soft toys, or goodies into the story bags ..

    Fascinating read ... and what a pity so many are putting their kids in front of the tv, rather than giving them a book to read to their heart's content ..

    Hope all's well and have a happy Easter ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea, Madeleine. Many thanks for sharing it with us. I can't imagine growing up without books. My childhood revolved around them and my parents encouraged me to read from a very young age.
    I always loved being read to at home and at school, and spent hours reading to my own children too. I think it stimulates the imagination and also makes a quieter, more solitary type of child feel as if they have a whole world of friends.

    Have a very Happy Easter, Madeleine, and I hope you're keeping well and seeing a bit of sun today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. PK, Suzanne,Hilary, Carol, Joanna, yes books are so important. They fuel the imagination, language and learning.

    Happy Easter. x

    ReplyDelete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.