About Me

My photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Monday, 24 September 2012

Whisked Away! Discovering Bookshops

Hubby whisked me away to The City of Bath for a romantic weekend.

We visited some of the places that we went on our first date 25 yrs ago...

http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/








and found some new places.

Sadly Whiteman's bookshop where we met and worked is no more, but I'm delighted to say we found this wonderful independent bookshop Mr B's Bookshop which more than made up for it. We just had to purchase some books, too...


Including this witty and apposite set of poems, which describe Bath how it is with wit and wisdom. Joyce and Edie in Bath, visiting the Assembly Rooms and tasting the special waters.

I bought some bed sock wool for my next knitting project.

On the last day my expensive, new shoes leaked in the rain making my socks soggy... Today after much persuasion at the shop we got a refund!

and now I've got lots of blogging to catch up on.
Did I miss much?

What did you get up to?

22 comments:

  1. Hi Madeleine - what a lovely, romantic suprise for you :-) Great to find all those bookshops (and best place to be on a day like today!) Re your shoes, I heard a bizarre thing once about some super-expensive, all-weather hiking boots, for which people were seeking refunds in their droves due to them letting water in. Seems the manufacturers got away with saying they were not guaranteed to be waterproof (God forbid!) merely 'water repellant.' So well done on your refund!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Karla
    That's exactly what this store tried to fob us off with, too. Apparently it's a legal loop hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! My father-in-law was born in Bath. Someday I will hop the pond and go for a visit with him. Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely, Madeleine. That is a really romantic break and a gorgeous trip down Memory Lane.
    I love Bath and took one of my daughters to the fashion museum there last year. I always drive through Bathampton when I visit my mother in Dorset and think how lovely the George looks, but have yet to go inside it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hubby is really sweet. What a wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really wanted to visit Bath when I was in the Cotswolds but just ran out of time. Next time. So glad you got to go back and enjoy it all again with the hubs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, I haven't been to Bath for several years but it it a great place to go. I visited Sally Lunn's for tea and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing Madeleine!! Is that handsome beloved?!?! Awwww he's lovely!! Yay!

    How utterly romantic! I'm so sorry the old bookshop wasn't there - but this new one looks FAB!!!

    Well done you for getting the refund for the shoes!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that sounds like a splendid weekend. I love the photos. I read a lot of British lit, so it's great to see what Bath actually looks like. It's mentioned in several novels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a good weekend, overall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice to be whisked away to a place where memories were made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a romantically fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom went to Bath and said it was beautiful. How lovely to be whisked away for a romantic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful experience! Very cool!
    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete
  15. How romantic! Lovely to walk down memory lane. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We don't have any quaint bookshops around here like that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hubby is so sweet. Bless him. Such a shame about the bookshop but how wonderful to visit the place you first met.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful, romantic surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Romantic weekends are nice. I wish we could do that sometimes.

    In the last city I lived before now, there was a beautiful old bookstore right downtown. Dark brown wood. Large glass windows in front. The smell of old books. I loved it. There isn't one like that in this city, but I don't buy as many books as I used to either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Madeleine .. how wonderful - and it sounds a glorious weekend .. despite the rain and wet shoes - glad they refunded them.

    Bookshops - glorious .. and Bath is a place I hope to visit sometime for a browse around ..

    Congratulations on 25 years ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am very jealous of your weekend. Good job getting your money back on the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a romantic and bookish time. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.