About Me

My photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Sunday, 30 September 2012

W1S1 and IWSG September ~ Limerick

Insecure Writer’s Support Group hosted by Alex J Cavanaugh. Time to release our fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the tab above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. (This month we are posting on Tuesday as well.) I encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs

So did I achieve my  Write1Sub1, goal ? Well,  I recently realised that writing without worrying about it is so liberating.

I submitted a 250 word Flash Fiction story for an online competition, though that particular one didn't get shortlisted/ chosen, I'm afraid.

However, I have written another two 1,000 word crime suspence stories and did not allow my inner critic a look-in and it worked!

I wrote them as writing exercises and enjoyed the finished results. Had I written them as stories to submit then my brain would have erected barracades and filled its moats with murky croc infested water and not allowed me past the gate.

Do you over cook your stories?
Usually I over-think my stories while I'm physically writing them so that  my brain seems to seize up with the effort. Now I start the first paragraph, then leave my writing to do some chores. In the meanwhile my brain starts playing around with the ideas in a much more relaxed and creative way, so that when I return to writing the story I have a much better idea of what to write.

I've also re-written a poem and submitted it to a competition

and finally September 22nd was World Rhino Day ,so following Mad Kane's excellent example I have written my own Limerick for it:

A writer with rhinoceros hide
Can endure the most cutting aside
As the critics attack
Every barb cuts their back
Yet they stay resolutely dry-eyed.

I've been transferring my Cloth Figure Website that I started 10 years ago to Blogger here

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I often over think everything. Before I really got into the writing world, I just wrote. That was all. It was wrong and horrible, but there was something wonderful about just writing, not thinking about what people might think of it, not worrying about whether or not I'd one day be a literary wonder (will never happen). It was just writing and sometimes I really miss that. I'm glad you got to experience that with your short stories. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madeleine!

    Sounds like you had fun just writing.

    All the best with the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever limerick. I enjoyed it. And congrats on all your other writing too!
    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, Madeleine. I've been doing the same thing. I've spent the last week writing in my way, without any competition restrictions in mind. It's been so lovely that I think I'll carry on like this for while and only submit when my stories happen to match the guidelines, rather than writing them to order. I've sort of sworn off competitions at the moment in order to feel freer. I noticed that my earlier writing, when I didn't know if I would be submitting it or not, was less stilted and forced. I was writing what and how I wanted instead of struggling to fit it into a format.
    I've had the best writing week for ages as a result and put together a collection of stories that add up to 30,000 words. It's still very rough, but it comes from the heart and I feel really satisfied with it.
    Best of luck with yours. I'm glad it's going so well. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna, Nas and TC Sounds like you've all seen the light too LOL! It's great isn't it?

    Glad you enjoyed my rhino limerick Madeleine ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to over think everything, both in real life as well as my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you've been very productive... and your Lascaux entry is really awesome! I love the way you incorporated the picture prompt into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachna, lovely to hear from you.

    Bless you Michelle! With 250 entries it didn't get short listed though. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I get stuck writing, I like to take the dog for a walk or do some mindless chore, that always seems to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I over-think things, too. Good for you on shutting down your inner critic!

    I love your limerick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great you're writing and submitting small pieces. Way to be productive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cooking is what slows down my first draft. I'm always thinking. Although, it needs to be cooked to a certain point before I can start.

    Yay on getting all those stories done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm the same way, but instead of chores I go for a run. :) lol Which is probably why my chores never get done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Need to get me some of that rhino hide.

    Good post, congrat's on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes!!! I've experienced this as well. And when I stop fretting and just write, then the words flow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never seem to learn. When I overthink, I hardly get much done. When I don't, I even manage to surprise myself at times. Thanks for reminding me that writing is all about enjoying the craft, despite pressures and all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you've found the perfect way to write. Over thinking can kill a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think about my stories when I do chores or go for a walk. Then I go back to my desk with better ideas and an easier flow.

    I love the idea of write 1 sub 1.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rhino hide -- yes! Proud of you for sticking with Write1Sub1. =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't remember the author who said it, but it was something about her best stories being written while she does the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Missed P - I love the idea of writing one's best while doing the chores.

    Thank you Theresa, Golden eagle and Milo :O)

    Medeia, Ellie, Yolanda, Lynda - I'm glad I'm not alone I this discovery.


    Ssusan, Stina, Mary - Ah yes, the writer's blcok conundrum is anorther way to stifle stories

    ReplyDelete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.