About Me

My photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Saturday, 14 January 2012

Writers for Animals

Writers For Animals Competition Closing date: 31st March 2012
Here's your chance to get your animal story selected for inclusion in a compilation book that will be sold to raise funds for animal welfare. There are no prizes. If chosen, however, your writing will be published and the proceeds of the book will go to a worthwhile cause.

Wanted: True-life stories about animals who've touched people's hearts, and the people who help them. Plus fiction stories for adults and teenagers that have some kind of animal theme.

For full submission guidelines, please email the editor: Entries before 31st March 2012.The 'Writers For Animals' book will be around 200 pages of stories about animals, animal issues and people who help animals. It will be a balance of true life and fiction and every story will be heart-warming, thought-provoking or just escapist, enjoyable fun. The target audience will be everybody from teenagers to elderly people who care about animals.

Designers and illustrators will also work on the presentation of the book. 'Writers For Animals' are quite well connected with book distributors and attend a lot of events such as animal sanctuary open days, book fairs and vegan festivals, where we can sell the book. It will also be listed on Amazon and sold through campaign groups' merchandise catalogues.

Please save your stories as a Word, Open Office or any plain text file and email as an attachment to this address: writersforanimals@live.co.uk before 31st March 2012. Please don't use docx format or PDF.

Writers For Animals will be a book of short stories published in May 2012 to raise funds for animal rescues. You are invited to suggest any animal rescues/sanctuaries for us to donate the proceeds to (they would not have to put any effort into the project, though we'd ask for some photos of animals for the back cover). The editorial collective are looking for contributions of 800 - 8,000 words.
They want both true-life stories about animals and the people who've helped them, plus fiction for adults and teenagers in every genre. You can write whatever you like, provided it has some animal characters and/or relevance to animal issues. Stories only please, no poetry, essays or political opinions. The closing date is 31st March 2012

Have you got an animal story you'd like to submit?

BTW the photo is of Borage, our 2 yr old cat, looking rather woeful for some reason, as he looks out of the kitchen window.

18 comments:

  1. Hmm, the only one I can think of that I have is a full-length novel. But it's about talking animals, not real ones. hehe.

    This is a great cause!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info to this wonderful project, lovely Madeleine! There's plenty of time to the deadline so hopefully I'll get inspired by then!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to let my friend Julie Flanders know about this. This is exactly what she loves to write about. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an animal story. But I do love animals. Going to take the family to San Diego Wild Animal Safari this Monday as a matter of fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't have an animal story. But it sounds like it will be a great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't, but what a fabulous idea! I love that it's all to support a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic project - will you give us the heads up when it is published? I'd love to see the final product, though I don't have any animal stories to submit...
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings,
    Tis I, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star. I have taken over my human's keyboard. I have loads of animal stories I could submit. Actually, even Gary, a mere human, wrote a true life story about a beloved dog in the past that brought tears to the eyes of those who read the posting.
    Even though Gary is very shy, I shall ask him if he would like to submit that article.
    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, Penny xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to LG for letting me know about this. What a great cause and the anthology sounds fantastic! I am going to think about it and see if I can come up with a story to submit, thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My blog guest this week on Wrote By Rote would be an excellent candidate for this. Check out her post.


    Lee
    A cat's memoir?
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this Maddy. No, I've not got an animal story though. Glad your blog is up and running again.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the info! I do have a poodle humor essay from a long time ago. It seems appropriate, but it's been published previously: A Poodle Tale. I actually feel odd (and very sad) about submitting it because it's about my parents and their dog. (My parents and their dog are all now deceased.)

    Hmmm, I make just forget the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the information, Madeleine! I'm a big fan of animal stories, but sadly I've got none of my own to submit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. Sadly, I read animal stories a lot better than I write them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually don't think I've ever written an animal story. Wonder if I have one in me. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an awesome project! thanks for telling us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't write animal stories, but I love the idea of this project.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.