About Me

My photo

My Blog SCRIBBLE AND EDIT reflects my love of creative writing, design, literature and film. Check out my Poems & haiku, Romantic Flash Fiction; Blogfest Entries; Blog Awards and other prose and Flash Fiction. Do bear with me, as I will reciprocate with those genuine commenters on my blog.  BTW I sometimes withhold comments for challenges until later. Comments about the post are much appreciated. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!

The only SURE way for me to follow you back is if you leave a comment. However, if your Blog has a black background and white writing then it makes my eyes squiffy...

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Waiting Game with Walter Mitty



After I write my short stories and poems I then badger my hubby to read them aloud to me. I find it’s a good way to hear the mistakes and check the flow of dialogue and ideas. Naturally he agrees to this with a resigned stoicism. Bless!


Then I begin re-editing and polishing the work until eventually I decide it’s done and ready to print off. Popping it in the postbox, I walk away with a hopeful, excited flutter running through me.


Then I wait.
All the while, as the hours stretch into days, then weeks and months I try to get on with my life, while every day stretches out like its own personal month and I try to tell myself to forget about the manuscripts. Just be patient. As I wait, I day dream like Walter Mitty, imagining how awesome it will be when the manuscript is accepted.

In quieter moments, I pluck the possibilities: 'accepted', 'declined', 'accepted' like petals in a game of 'He loves me, he loves me not! '


Naturally I want everyone to love my literary offspring as much as I do, while knowing full well that although this would be awesome, it isn’t always possible.

What do you do?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Madeleine!
    I too daydream, rather more than is strictly necessary, I've found in recent months the best way to fill this waiting time is to keep writing.
    The best advice I was given was to have lots of your work 'out there'. That way, when I get a rejection, I can think 'Never mind, there's still several more out there with a chance'
    Best wishes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh bless you, thanks. That is sound advice. I'm currently writing a novel, so I switch between that and magazine submissions and competition entries.
    I just need to learn to 'let go' more, maybe?
    Madeleine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would echo P & P's advise, Madeleine. The rejections are certainly less painful if you still have 'something' out there! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments with heart are worth their weight in gold. Thank you.
Comments based on others' comments can lead to misunderstandings that spread like whispers!
COMMENTS MAY BE occasionally MODERATED and TAKE TIME TO APPEAR, Thank you.